When your heating and cooling equipment acts up, you want only the best HVAC technician to fix it. With dozens of contractors in the Racine and Kenosha area to choose from, how can you possibly narrow down your options? One way to spot the true professionals is to consider their certifications.
At First Call Heating & Cooling, we are a Trane® Certified Comfort Specialist™, member of the Better Business Bureau, and installer of Energy Star-qualified equipment. Our technicians are also NATE-certified. Here's your chance to learn more about NATE certification and why you should never hire a contractor without this distinction.
What is NATE?
North American Technician Excellence, or NATE, is the country's largest non-profit organization that provides training and testing for heating, ventilation, and air conditioning (HVAC) technicians. This is the only nationally accepted certification program of its kind, and participation by HVAC technicians is strictly voluntary.
What Does NATE Certification Entail?
To earn this distinction, HVAC technicians must not only undergo training-they must also pass written and practical exams with a grade of 70% or higher to prove their understanding. Passing the exams confirms that the technicians have become experts in all areas of the HVAC industry, including servicing and installing gas furnaces, air conditioning, heat pumps, oil furnaces, and air distribution systems. Technicians can also specialize in areas like hydronics and refrigeration to further enhance their resume.
Most NATE certification categories last for five years. To become re-certified, techs must complete 60 hours of continuing education or retake the exams. This requirement ensures that HVAC industry employees remain up-to-date with the latest technologies and safety techniques.
Passing the NATE certification exams isn't easy. The organization has worked hard to create challenging but practical training and tests that enhance the skills of those who complete the program. The ultimate goal is to ensure customers receive reliable service when they hire an HVAC contractor.
Why Hire a NATE-Certified Technician?
While many heating and cooling companies provide training for their technicians, this isn't nearly as comprehensive as the training and testing NATE provides. Don't settle for anyone other than a NATE-certified technician if you want to enjoy:
- Certified installation: Poor system setup can reduce efficiency by up to 30%. Enjoy the improved performance and peace of mind that comes with a NATE-certified installation.
- Reliable services: Whether you need routine maintenance or an emergency repair, you can expect more thorough, efficient services when you work with a NATE-certified technician.
- Fewer callbacks: You want your HVAC equipment repaired correctly the first time around. Thanks to their advanced education, NATE-certified professionals complete callback-free repairs in 74% of cases. This is compared to 68% of jobs for techs without certification.
- Better system performance: You can count on a NATE-certified technician to ensure your system performs at its peak. The benefits of smooth, efficient operation include better home comfort, lower energy bills, safer performance, and longer system lifespan.
- Access to expert advice: Do you want to know how to change the air filter? Are you concerned about your rising energy bills? NATE-certified technicians have the knowledge and experience to answer your questions and help you get the most from your HVAC equipment.
Hire a NATE-Certified Technician in the Racine/Kenosha Area
While participation in the NATE certification program is voluntary, First Call Heating & Cooling only employs technicians with this distinction. This means when you choose us to install, repair, maintain, or replace your HVAC equipment, you'll always receive the very best service.